Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Day in the Life of.. US!

Well it has turned cold.. And winter hasn't arrived yet. Bam Humbug! My son is finishing up his reading which happens to be the last homeschool assignment he has today. The girls are watching tv after tearing up my room playing with playdough, crayons, scissors and paper. Cleanup time will happen as soon as Momma gets her blog finished! My friend A, was asking me today about homeschooling. She just started this year and is having a bit of trouble finding her groove! So I thought I would do a post about what a typical day is like at our house.

Warning: I'm not perfect. My family is not perfect. What works for us may not for you. Schedule changes to suit our needs!

We are not morning people but we are usually all up and running by about 10 am. Sounds late huh but its perfect for us. Everyone gets the needed sleep (and sometimes a little extra). Everyone has a different schedule that works for them. We get up and do breakfast. Some mornings my son makes pancakes. Some mornings I make bacon and eggs. Some mornings its cereal and pop tarts. :) Then we start school. When we first started schooling I made a list of the subjects we needed to do and the assignment next to it. Example...


1. Math.. page 8-9 all problems... Remember to show work..
2. Reading Comprehension workbook - page 5-6 .. Remember to write in cursive
and so on.


Now that we are halfway in the school year he pretty much knows what is expected and just comes down and choses what he wants to start. Today he started with Social Studies I believe. Yesterday he started with math. I don't mind as long as everything gets done.


Normally we do science which is Apologia Botany twice a week since its a mom guided lesson. Today we made a clay flower with all the right parts as part of our lesson. It was pretty cool. Mom made one too! Art is also something we don't do everyday but only because I have two little ones running around. We save it for nap time or try to do things that can be simplified for them too. Such as the painting we did in the previous post. I have the finished pictures of those too! We loved the way they turnedout.


We break for about an hour for lunch. Then back to finish up any remaining school work and for mom to do some checking and grading. I don't do grade averages or anything like that. If it is good I check mark the page. If it needs work, he and I discuss what is wrong and what to do to fix it. Then he makes the changes needed. Some days I don't get to the grading and checking. Then it piles up until the weekend and I end up sitting here for an hour with the answer sheets and my brain. I hate doing that. Procrastinating gets you in trouble. lol Okay so we normally are finished up by 2 or 2:30 and that is the 4 hours our state requires for homeschooling. :)


I admit there are some days where he doesn't seem to want to work or his mind wonders. Having ADHD does make it hard for him sometimes to stay and work. Things we have tried.


Music. Amazingly listening to music while doing work (or even audio books) helps him. I like classical music while doing school work. That isn't always possible with the girls but we try! lol Other things include moving the tv to another smaller room with a door. We actually moved the tv, entertainment center and couch to the homeschool room and moved all the homeschool room stuff to the bigger room! Now he has more room and less distractions! Breaks are also necessary! Snacks can be good. Who can think with a rumbly tummy! Its important (for us) that he gets small healthy snacks through out the day. Because of his high energy and constant mood swings, he burns up calories quickly. If you know him, he is skinny as can be without looking starved. Doc said he's a good weight though! Go figure.

Okay. Here is a list of work for a typical day:

Math-u-see - Delta (working on Division)
McGraw-Hill Reading Comprehension Grade 4 workbook
Success in Spelling 4
United States and its Neighbors textbook
Apologia Botany
weekly - Music - listening to various genres and exploring famous classical composers
weekly - Art - exploring different periods and art styles... making our own versions too
Reading - 30 minutes a day required.
Not limited to just these. Some times we do copywork to work on his cursive and supplement with documentaries and blips on u tube. Yesterday we were working on greenhouse effect and global warming. We watched a few things on utube and looked it up online and in the Encyclopedia. Next we will watch the movie Al Gore did about Global Warming once I find it!

Well hope you enjoyed a glimpse of our homeschooling!
Time to go clean up and finish our day! Hope you have a good one!