Thursday, September 2, 2010

September? Really? When did that happen!

So my calendar has again tricked me.
I'm looking at August and thinking what the heck!

I can't believe it is already Septemper. Wanna know what tipped me off??? A letter
from my daughter's school informing me to pick her up early because its the 1st
Wednesday of the month. Yeah I know that was yesterday. And yes I did pick her up on
time. Actually I sent my other half but who's checking anyway. So this month is Emergency Preparedness month. I'm sure its a few other things too but this is one I take note of.
Oh and my other half's birthday and my mom's birthday are this month.


So for Emergency Preparedness, I'm doing two things. Well at the moment only too but I'm sure I will add to that. I went to Shelf Reliance and used on of their online free tools to let you know what you need to have in your preparedness bag. You seen the commercials on tv about when a disaster strikes.. the couple floating in what looks like their living room in outerspace?? Yeah weird, I know but in the end they grab a bag and go. Well part of Emergency Preparedness is having that bag in case of a flat-out gotta get out emergency. So anyway, Shelf Reliance has a tool here that lets you input how many of you there are with ages and sex. It tells you what you might need. Of course you don't have to buy from them though it seems a little more convenient. I'm using it as a reference to get ideas. I'm also following the blog at Food Storage Made Easy with its Baby Steps to getting into food storage. They are also doing a 7-day Challenge to see just how prepared you are. Hmmm I'm going to follow that even though I know I'm not prepared at the moment. Okay onward.


New problems this week. Car is out of commission. We sent it in to the dealership a month or so ago because the windshield wipers were alot like my 10 year old.. only working when they felt like it. Charged us over $300 and sent it home. I took it back the next week. Not working again. They kept it three days and sent it back. I bet the car felt unwanted at this point. Said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. HA! Stopped working again this week. Sent it back. This time they say the Body Control Module is out and it will cost me.... dun dun dun... $1001.21 to fix it. So its parked. Not happy at all about this development! Glad we have another one that is still running!


We did a fun, informative lesson in science today that I thought I would share since my son said, "Mom, why are you taking pictures??? Are you going to go post them on your blog??" Well yes, dear that is my goal!


So here was the lesson. We were learning about the spine. Activity was "Building a Model Backbone". Here it is in pictures.



Materials! Don't you love when they are edible.





First you put on the Wagon wheels by themself. Tie and try to flex the stem. If you do it too hard, you will break the pasta. That's what your back would be like without the soft discs. Not very flexible.



Then you put Gummy Lifesavers on after each Wagon wheel to show how the soft cushions the vertebrae. I'm sure I'm not using technical terms here but the lesson was this morning so I'm allowed it ad-lib here. :P



End result. Lesson the the backbone, new flexible toy to play with, and a snack all in one! Not the ones on the chenelle stem either. The bag from the picture which is now empty and in the trash can....


So there was Science for the day. Hope you all had a fun, informative day too.