Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr Holiday work

Since today is the holiday celebrating Martin Luther King Jr we decided to do a lapbook and learn more in depth about this great man.

We started with a Hands of a Child Lapbook (found here). This is my favorite place to find lapbooks! It starts with several pages of reading then begins the activities. I cut, he did the work. He completed the first activity which doesn't sound like much. Really though it was making 18 match book folds with vocabulary words and definitions inside. We took a break halfway through the reading to watch his "I Have a Dream" speech here. We also listened to the Bruce Springsteen remake of "We Shall Overcome." If you want to listen, Amazon has it for download for .99. I think we will continue this lapbook all week to replace his normal history for the week.

I'm fixing to start a (kids) book biography of Harriet Tubman by Judith Bentley that I might just read out loud. My 11 year still doesn't mind mom reading out loud. Just means he isn't having to read it! haha

Last week we got a ton of snow. At least 8 inches and for where I live that puts the whole town out of commission. So we had plenty of time to enjoy each other's company. We also had my fiancée oldest son with us this week. Uhm so tomorrow public school goes back and that means my preschooler whom I love dearly will be going back to her regular week. Hopefully that will put my son back on his regular schedule. We didn't get much done last week. We did manage to get some weaving time in. I made these when I was a kid so it brought back some nice memories.


Such a priceless look of concentration on my oldest daughter's face.
She did get frustrated so we put it aside and I plan to bring it back out this week so she and I can finish it.
I glanced at the pamplet that came with one of the three kits we had. The strings are actually colored panty hose. lol Thought that was a fun fact!

I also want to show you what we cooked tonight. We made Homemade Chicken Pot Pie from a great cookbook we bought that gives you double recipes so you can freeze half for later. So we had one tonight and froze the other half for a quick and easy dinner another night. This recipe is alot of work but its really good and saves you work on another more busy night!

Here is what we made:


Doesn't that look yummy. If you want the recipe, let me know and I will post it on here.

Hope you have a great week.