Monday, February 2, 2015

Comics, Manga, Graphic Novels for the Pre-Teen Girl



My daughter who is 8 and fixing to turn 9 has developed a passion for graphic novels, comics and manga.  I probably should research to see what the difference in all of these terms are.  Or I could ask my 15 year old son who loves to correct me.  His favorite correction is when I try to pronounce Naruto!  I can't for the life of me say that word.  I literally give up.  Ok back to the daughter who doesn't correct my mispronunciations.

I've had a couple people say they have trouble finding things their children would be interested in reading.  This genre is perfect.  Easy, quick and fun.  Even the non-reader likes a comic section sometimes.  And they tend to be fun for the boy or the girl reader.  Although as the kids (especially girls) get older its harder to find age-appropriate books.

Our library needs a bigger section or I need a new job to support her habit.
Here are some of the series she has devoured:

Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 (Yotsuba&! #1) by Kiyohiko Azuma

Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll, Vol. 1 (Fluffy, Fluffy Cinnamoroll #1)
by Yumi Tsukirino

Sonic Select: Book Two
by Archie Comics, Ian Flynn, Patrick Spaziante (Illustrations), Sonic Scribes

Minecraft Comic Book: Herobrine's Quest for Justice - Edition 1 by Minecraft Novels, Minecraft Comic Books
Minecraft books note:  Some of the books you will find are actually chapter books.  There are some that are comics such as the one I will be sharing here.  Double check if you are just wanting comics. :)

Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet #1) by Kazu Kibuishi (Goodreads Author)

Tiny Titans: Penguins in the Batcave!
by Art Baltazar

Queen of the World! (Babymouse #1)
by Jennifer L. Holm (Goodreads Author), Matthew Holm

Smile (Smile #1)
by Raina Telgemeier (Goodreads Author)

The Baby-Sitters Club: Kristy's Great Idea(Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels #1)
by Raina Telgemeier (Goodreads Author), Ann M. Martin

Big Nate and Friends (Big Nate: Comics)
by Lincoln Peirce

Note on Big Nate!  We were just approved to read an advanced copy of the book below (amazon link) which will be available March 17th, 2015.  So she is super excited about that.

 Big Nate: Say Good-bye to Dork City (amp! Comics for Kids)
AND

Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (Geronimo Stilton #1)   by Geronimo Stilton

NOTE: This series is not a comic book.  The Geronimo Stilton series is like a mix of comic and chapter book.  Almost every page in the book is decorated.  Its a very entertaining read for the kids that get bored easily.  Plus the series is huge so there are lots of books to keep them busy.

Wow. I didn't realize how many series she has actually read.  If you would like to see a list of all the books she has read I will include a link to our homeschool good reads account.  I'm normally good at keeping it updated.  You are more than welcome to follow us or even add us as a friend on goodreads. We love interacting with people.  See even homeschool kids socialize.  :P

Our main goodreads link:  Sweet's Family Bookshelves

The Comics shelf:  Graphic Novels, Comics and Manga

If you know of any books that she might like, feel free to let me know.  Always looking for more options.

I hope that someone will find this list helpful in getting their child started in reading.  I will do an updated reading list when she gets a little older.  Or perhaps one for my 15 year old son's list.  If you would like to see this, let me know in the comments.  Thanks for reading!