Sunday, June 21, 2015

Art project!

Taking a break from organizing, decluttering, and moving furniture for a bit of fun.  My girls and I found a cute video on youtube about decorating a teen girl's room.  While my girls are not that old some of the things were too cute to not do. So at 11 pm last night we decided to do one!  Here you go.

First we used painters tape to mark off the letters that we wanted to spell out on our canvas.  This took several tries as rounded letters are too hard for 8-9 year olds to do.  These took mom a few minutes to get right!

Next you paint the design you like and let it dry. 

Then peel off the paint.  Super easy and super cute!

And mom made one too after the girls were done making a mess... I mean creating art!

Mine will go in the homeschool room when its done!

Blessed Be!

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Homeschool Room Series. Part 1

One of my summer projects is to convert my yardsale room into a homeschool room for daughter.   First let me explain what I mean by yardsale room. Basically it's the dumping room for all the things I sell online. Unfortunately sales have been down and I have way to much.  It was out of control. So I sorted and toted up what I plan to keep. To sell online later or actually have a real yardsale.  That in itself took a week.  No I didn't take pictures. It's ridiculous really.. I promise. So anyway I cleared it out and took almost everything out. What I didn't have  room to relocate I pushed to the center and covered.  That's when the fun began.
Started with spackling.  It's a basement room that my daughter picked a very bright green for when it was her room and the people before us were very hard on these walls. I did A LOT of patching. First lesson I learned was to put the spackling on thin. My wrist still hurts from sanding yesterday.   Ugh. Second coat was way easier. ;-)
Then came washing the walls. Where did all these cobwebs come from?  

Now I am painting. I have two fabulous helpers for this job. 

Next came the bookshelf relocation. I have a home library/office where my desk and bookshelves are located.  I have 11 bookcases in my library.  Three of these were relocated in our new homeschool room.  My homeschool books were scattered through these 11 bookcases.  Yes, I know.  It was a long process and I didn't take any pictures of that part.  
I finally finished that part then sorted all the books on the shelves except the school books that I know for sure we will be using this year.  Those will be on a different bookcase.  So here is the bookshelf wall so far.  

 Before books!

After sorting books!

Now to start on the other wall.  The chest in the middle is our time capsule.  It has all the kids baby clothes and things that I've kept for all three of them over the years. I'm in the process of making a seat cushion to fit there for a reading nook.  I have so many plans.  Next up is my daughter's new desk.  It should be here next week!  More updates coming soon.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Lungs in a Bottle?

While perusing youtube looking for homeschool science project ideas, I came across what looked like lungs in a bottle.  So I did some research and we made one.  Super easy.  Directions can be found on youtube or pinterest.  We did a quick video and posted it because we thought it was so cool.  Ignore my very loud southern accent.  lol  I promise to get better at these videos and post more. My daughter likes sharing with everyone.  It really helps with her shyness.
Here you go.  Lungs in a bottle.

Blessed Be!

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Garden Beds and Rabbit Poop

Note:  Apparently I did this post once and somehow deleted it!  Grr..  So here it is again.

My garden this year is much smaller than in previous years.  I planted everything from seeds that I had put up.  Some of them didn't sprout and others died before hardening.  :(  This is a skill I have to work on.

Here are the tomatoes that made it. :)  The other plant is a pickling cucumber that was very determined.  It was actually one of the ones I killed.  I poured the dirt back into the garden bed and it sprouted back up!

Here is a bigger picture of my raised garden bed.  The rabbit hutch is over the bed so that the rabbit poop can be spread in the garden all year long. :)
We do have plans to build a better more leak resistant hutch in the future but for now our homemade hutch works well.  In case you are curious, there are two lion head rabbits in there.  I will try to get a good picture after I spring clean their home.  In the winter we had boards to the outside to protect them from the elements.  I took two sides off and the weather decided thunderstorms were needed.  So I will get out there and finish up when the weather cooperates.

And here is another couple of cucumber plants that I placed along the fence line in hopes of getting them to grow up the fence.  Hopefully the blackberry bushes already occupying a portion of the fence don't try to hog the fence. ;)

Hope you enjoyed the little garden post.  Blessed Be!