Sunday, October 23, 2016

Learning Japanese Series - Part 1 - Materials

This year my 5th grader has decided that she wants to begin learning Japanese.  I'm both excited and scared.  I have no knowledge of Japanese beyond counting to 10 and saying hello.  This is a new experience for both of us.

 After much research and a couple different purchases, we decided that this looked like the easiest and best option for her to begin with.
Japanese from Zero Book 1.
This book is a series.  As you complete the book you can go on to the next level.  Here is a link to the whole series if you want to check them out.  He also has a Korean series.
Japanese From Zero Series
ALSO to make it even better the series has a youtube channel with great content relating to the lessons.  You can find it here:  Japanese From Zero! Youtube Channel


Along with this book we use various Japanese youtube videos and different programs.  The first is the free version of a program called Byki 4 Express.  We are not affiliated with them.  It was just one of many programs I researched.  Below is a screenshot of what it looks like when you add it and add your students.  You can add multiple students which I liked.  It keeps your progress separate.  At this point I haven't decided if I want to purchase the full program or not yet.  

Byki 4 Express


Another resource I've just discovered through our local library system is through the website 

Our library offers a free membership to card holders.  Most library systems offer a membership through some language resource website so its definitely worth checking out.  I've only just found it so I can't share any input on it.  I can review it later after we use it for a while if anyone is interested.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like.  My favorite part is that it isn't a program so there is no downloading.  Just open the page and get to work.  




Now that is the material we use or will be using. Next part of this series will be more about what we have actually been doing.  You can see some of the ideas of how we incorporate Japanese into day to day activities.   I do hope you will come back to see more of what we are doing.

And I would LOVE to here what you are doing in learning a new language.  IF you are learning Japanese and want some company, feel free to let me know.  Leave us a link in the comments if you have any good websites, books or if you've written a blog about learning japanese.

Thanks for reading!