Thursday, October 27, 2016

Review: The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

The Invisible ManThe Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a required reading choice for my 11th grader this year. He chose it. I read it first in two days then he read it a couple chapters a day. I found it very interesting. He found it a little slow in some parts. It lead to some interesting conversations about whether the main character was mad to begin with or went mad because of the invisibility. My son said in the beginning that having that power would be amazing. Being able to do what you want, when you want. By the end of the book, he said he would only like to be invisible if he could control it. I'm sure the main character felt the same way.

At first I felt sympathetic towards Griffin and how frustrating it must of been to not be seen and to be open to the elements. His actions though toward the end squashed those feelings. I do think the author had fun playing with the emotions of the reader (as H.G. Wells is very good at).

As a child of the 90s I remember a movie of a similar nature of this book but I can't find it. I think maybe my memories of what it was and if it actually followed the book are off. If I can find it, I think it would be a nice addition to reading this together. If you know which movie I am thinking of, please feel free to comment below. I think I would still like to see it.

This is a great book for young adults and adults alike. If my 10 year old shows some interest, I will let her pick it up.


View all my reviews